Year composed: 2015
Instrumentation: amplified violin, viola, and speaker
Duration (approx.): 10′
Commissioned by and dedicated to the Third Angle New Music Ensemble.
First performed on November 13th, 2015 at Studio 2 @ Zoomtopia in Portland, Oregon.
Text by Sandra Stone
Want to hear a demo recording? Send me a message!
- speaker should use a microphone and should not overpower the instruments.
- violin and viola are to be amplified by either use of a contact microphone or close mic placement.
- there are two pre-sets that need to be activated by an audio technician at points indicated in the score:
- PRESET 1 should be a brighter tone with substantial reverb and long decay, ideally enough to create a kind of blur when there’s tremolo.
- PRESET 2 should be a warm, glowing, gentler tone with moderate to light reverb.
- both presets should allow for a wide dynamic range without becoming distorted or over powering the speaker.
Copyright © Jay Derderian & Sandra Stone (ASCAP), 2018. All Rights Reserved.
2 replies on “Frozen Smolder”
[…] piece, a commission by the Third Angle Ensemble for amplified violin, viola, and narrator titled Frozen Smolder. The piece a setting of a poem by the same name by Portland author Sandra […]
[…] this compositional challenge and have been looking to these great masters for guidance as I polish my modest contribution to this lineage. What follows is a very general look at the different uses of a speaker and live […]